U.S. Owner Relations

Owner Frequently Asked Questions

What is a division order?

A division order is a document confirming your ownership of a particular property or unit. It also authorizes the distribution of funds according to your ownership decimal. The division order does not represent a sale of your property or any changes to your lease. When you sign and return the division order, you confirm you agree with the information disclosed in the document.

Is my social security number or tax ID required?

Federal law requires you to furnish your Social Security or Taxpayer Identification Number. Failure to comply will result in tax withholding, which will not be refundable by payor.

When do I get paid?

Payments are mailed or deposited electronically into your account around day 26 of each month.

Reading your checkstub

Lost, stolen or outdated checks

Contact Ovintiv’s U.S. owner interest relations team at 866.917.3700 or email encana@ownerrelationssupport.com

When will I receive a 1099 tax form?

The 1099 tax form is mailed out by January 31 of each year. You also can find your 1099 using the Tax Emulation on the Ovintiv’s U.S. Interest Owner Relations website.

Need to make an ownership change?

What’s an owner number?

You have been assigned a unique seven-digit owner number for your account. Please include your owner number in all communications with Ovintiv, including in all voicemail messages and in the subject line of any email correspondence. The owner number can be found on your division order, check detail or 1099.

How do I make an ownership transfer?

To transfer your interest, you must provide Ovintiv the following:

  • Copy of recorded deed or conveyance document.
  • For trusts, send us a copy of the trust agreement along with a copy of the recorded document transferring the interest into the trust.
How does a royalty interest get transferred if an owner dies?

If the decedent died testate (with a will) and the will is being probated, the following must be submitted for our review:

  • Death Certificate
  • Will
  • Order admitting the will to probate (or its equivalent depending on the state in which the proceedings were conducted). 
  • For states other than Texas, include: Letters Testamentary and Final Decree of Distribution or Letters Testamentary and recorded conveyance from personal representative. 

If the decedent died intestate (without a will), but the estate is probated:

  • Provide a copy of the death certificate.
  • Letters of Administration.
  • Final Decree when available for states other than Texas or
    recorded conveyance from the administrator.

If the decedent died intestate (without a will), and the estate was not probated, or the will was not probated in the state where the property is located, state law for where the property is located may allow us to rely on an Affidavit of Heirship.

  • Contact the customer service center at 866.917.3700 and ask to speak to the division order analyst in that area to see if an Affidavit of Heirship will be accepted.
  • An Affidavit of Heirship must be completed by a person other than a relative or heir to the decedent’s estate. The affiant’s signature must be notarized.
  • The affidavit must be filed for record in the county, or counties, where the property is located.
  • A blank Affidavit of Heirship form can be mailed upon your request.

To comply fully with the various state statutes, it is strongly suggested that you consult an attorney familiar with the laws of the state in which the property is located to open ancillary probate.

How do I change the name of a trustee?

Provide a copy of the applicable portion of the Trust document that identifies the successor trustee, the duties and powers of the trustee, and the circumstances leading to the replacement of the trustee.

How do I change the name on my account?

If an individual’s name changes due to marriage or divorce, please send a recorded copy of marriage certificate, divorce decree or other document affecting the name change.

  • For company or corporate name changes, send a recorded certificate of name change (verification of tax ID should be included).
  • For company or corporate name changes due to a merger, send the recorded Certificate of Merger.
How do I add someone to my account?

Provide a copy of the recorded deed or conveyance document establishing joint tenancy or ownership.

Can the revenue paid be adjusted after the check has been issued?

Yes, payments are subject to prior period adjustments, either upward or downward. Adjustments on your check detail can be identified by a positive and negative entry shown under the “Owner Net $.” The negative amount will indicate what was previously paid and the positive amount will indicate what should have been paid to you.

There are many factors that may result in a prior period adjustment, such as:

  • Revised production statements
  • Revised pricing information
  • Revised allocation of production
  • Accounting errors

Unclaimed funds/property and funds in suspense

Where can I research unclaimed property?

Each state makes an effort to locate the rightful owners of production revenues, holding the funds until the owner is found. To locate and collect unclaimed funds, please visit the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrator’s website.

How is abandoned property reported?

Each state has abandoned property (often referred to as escheat laws) that require the reporting of funds held for its residents. Once abandoned property has reached the state’s required dormancy period, it is paid to the state of the owner’s last known address.

When are royalty payments suspended?

For your protection, payments are suspended upon a title dispute, an assignment of interest, notice of death, transfer of property or in the event of no known address. Keeping your information current can prevent this inconvenience.

Joint interest billing (JIB)

Reading your JIB

EnergyLink can be used to obtain your Joint Interest Bills electronically from a free and secure website. You can register with EnergyLink for access at www.energylink.com.

How to email accounts receivable about JIB questions

For questions on your Joint Interest Bill, please email JIB.Accounting@ovintiv.com. In your request, please provide the Partner Number, which appears above the Company Name on the top left corner of the bill, Invoice Number and information on the question. The detail will allow us to research the specific question or forward your question to the correct team at Ovintiv USA Inc. and Newfield Exploration Company.

Netted Revenue Check

For owners that have expenses netted from revenue payments, a revenue check will be issued around the 25 of the month. This revenue check will show the amount of the deduction for JIB expenses. If you are interested in having your invoice netted against your revenue check, please email a Revenue Netting set up request to JIB.Accounting@ovintiv.com.

Payment info and remittance instructions

Please include the Partner Number, located above the Partner Name on the invoice, and the Invoice Number with your payment. If you are submitting payment for a different amount than what was invoiced, please include an explanation or provide a note in EnergyLink to document the reason for the difference.

Payments are remitted to one of the following:

Ovintiv Owners

Payment by Check

Ovintiv USA Inc.
c/o cash management
370 17th Street
Suite 1700
Denver, CO 80202

Payment by Wire/ACH

Ovintiv USA Inc.
Citibank N.A
Account Number 30430896
ABA Routing Number: 021000089
Send ACH Backup to: ach.ach@ovintiv.com